Permits are tools used by the City to manage development in different areas of Prince Rupert, ensure uniform building standards, protecting health, safety, and quality of life for residents.
The type of work that you are planning to conduct will impact the type of permit(s) you require. For more information on City permitting requirements, please contact the Development Services Department.
The following are the types of applications that may be required via the City of Prince Rupert:
- Application to Amend the OCP or Zoning Bylaw
- Development Permit Application
- Development Variance Application
- Application for Subdivision
- Application for Stratification
- Application for Sidewalk Patio Permit (Large Patio)
- Application for Sidewalk Patio Permit (Small Patio)
- Temporary Use Permit
- Tree Cutting Permit Application
Completed forms must be returned to City Hall at 424 3rd Avenue West, Prince Rupert, BC. All Development Permit fees must be paid before an application is considered accepted and before a decision can be made. Once a Development Permit is approved, property owners will need to proceed to obtaining a Building Permit.
Please note: Additional permitting and inspections may be required from other Provincial regulatory agencies for electrical and gas-fitting work. Please contact your local inspection agency for more information on Provincial requirements.
Planning and Development Fees
As part of the City's efforts to encourage revitalization and development the following application fees are waived in the City Core Area from January 1, 2020 to December 31, 2023:
- Development Permit fees
- Development Variance Permit fees
- OCP and/or Zoning Bylaw Amendment fees
- Building Permit fees
The following application fees are waived from October 1, 2021 to October 1, 2022:
- Residential OCP/Zoning Bylaw Amendment fees
- Residential Development Permit fees
- Residential Development Variance Permit fees (Considered to be under the reference to “ Development Permit” in the resolution)
- Residential Building Permit fees
This is the listing of Development Fees and Charges for those applications not included in the above list of waivers: