As property tax notices are currently being sent out to homeowners, we would like to remind residents of options for online and remote payment and completion of your homeowner grant form - which are preferred methods at this time. We have also developed a step by step guide (in the attached images) to help guide you through the process of online application for the Home Owner Grant.
If you have any questions about how much is owed, please call 250 627 0946. A Customer Service Representative will be happy to assist you.
Payment of taxes can be made through:
- Online banking: Search “Prince Rupert” and add the City property taxes payee. You will need your roll number from your tax notice (without the decimal). Contact your financial institution if you need exact instructions on adding a payee and/or making an online bill payment.
- Cheque dated no later than July 2, 2020 - and dropped in the mailslot at City Hall PRIOR TO THE DUE DATE. The mail slot is located up the ramp on the east hand side (Charles Hays Statue side) of City Hall
- Paytm Canada app: (see 'Credit Card Payments' below for more information - Please note that this app charges a convenience fee.)
- Debit card (by booking an appointment to attend City Hall - see below for details).
- Cash is discouraged (other methods preferred at this time). If cash is your only means of payment, we encourage you to go to a bank and obtain a money order.
Property tax payments and the home owner grant must be received no later than 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, July 2, 2020 to avoid penalty for residential and utilities properties. Penalties on late payments for commercial/light & major industrial/not-for-profit properties will be levied on October 1st if not paid by September 30, 2020. As online payments can sometimes take 4-5 days to process, please ensure that payments are made with this deadline in mind.
City Hall will also be accessible by appointment for you to make a payment if you are unable to pay or complete the homeowner grant through the options noted above. Please call (250) 627 0960 or (250) 627 0950 to set up an appointment. In the interests of community and staff safety, only one customer will be permitted at a time. We also ask that customers fill out any required paperwork (home owner grant application), before attending your appointment.
Credit Card Payments
We do not accept payment of property taxes directly through credit cards, however we accept payments through the Paytm Canada app, which accepts credit cards. Please note that this app charges a convenience fee, which is charged and collected by the app, not the City. By using the app as a method of payment, you are agreeing to pay this convenience fee on top of your property tax balance due.
To pay your property taxes with your credit card through the Paytm Canada app:
Download the Paytm Canada app and set it up as needed
Choose "City of Prince Rupert - Taxes" as the biller or payee
Enter the full roll number from your property tax notice starting with 227 (found at the top right of your 2020 property tax notice).
Enter the amount you will be paying and submit payment
Note: Payments done through the Paytm Canada app take up to 5 business days to process. Be sure to make your property tax payment in time for us to receive it no later than 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, July 2, 2020.
For more information, go to: http://princerupert.ca/city_hall/property_taxes
See below for a visual guide to assist you in paying the Home Owner Grant online at www.princerupert.ca/ehog