As you may be aware, the Provincial Health Officer has come down with a new Order today that puts into place a series of additional enforceable province-wide restrictions to prevent the spread of COVID 19. These restrictions are effective as of midnight tonight, and will be in place until December 7th, at which point the Province will provide an update.
The following are the major restrictions to be aware of:
- Masks are now required for everyone in all public indoor settings and workplaces. People who cannot wear a mask or who cannot put on or remove a mask on their own are exempt.
- No social gatherings of any size with anyone other than your household or core bubble. For example:
- Do not invite friends or extended family to your household
- Do not gather outdoors
- Do not gather in your backyard
- Do not have playdates for children
- All events and community-based gatherings as defined in the PHO order – Gatherings and Events are suspended (see link below). For example:
- Musical or theatre performances
- Seasonal activities
- Silent auctions
- The order does not impact restaurants and bars. Restaurants and bars can continue to operate as long as they have a COVID-19 Safety Plan and employee protocols in place.
- You should only visit a restaurant with people in your household or core bubble. Remember, a maximum of six people at a table
- Reservations for private parties that include more than one household or core bubble must be cancelled
- Businesses, recreation centres or other organizations that organize or operate indoor group physical activities must suspend the following activities:
- Spin classes
- Hot yoga
- High intensity interval training (HIIT)
- Sports games, competitions and practices can continue with no spectators and no travel (per Phase 3 Via Sport restrictions).
- Travel to, from and between regions for athletic activities like games, competitions, training and practice is restricted under this order
- At this time, all non-essential travel should be avoided. This includes travel into and out of B.C. and between regions of the province
These are important steps for all of us to take in order to reduce the potential for transmission in Prince Rupert and beyond. We know that these are difficult sacrifices to make, but they are in the broader interest of our friends, family and neighbours. Thank you for your continued commitment to keeping each other safe.
For more specific information on the Provincial Order, go to: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support/restrictions