Didn't get a chance to tune in or attend the Council Meeting last night? (It was sunny! We understand!) Check out the summary of main items from the meeting below:
Update from Council Meeting — July 22nd, 2019
- Council held a Committee of the Whole meeting where the opportunity to provide comment on general items of concern was provided to the community.
- Council heard a presentation from Joe Zelweitro, Chief Librarian and Cary Dalton, Library Trustree regarding the Prince Rupert Public Library.
- Council heard a presentation from the Chief Financial Officer regarding the May 2019 Financial Variance Report.
- Council released a board appointment from the June 24th Closed Meeting of Council. Stephanie Lysyk was appointed to another 2 year term on the Prince Rupert Library Board.
- Council gave Second Reading to OCP Amendment Bylaw No. 3445, 2019 and Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 3443, 2019 for the property on Biggar Place. A Public Hearing was also scheduled for August 19th, 2019 at 7:00 pm, prior to the public meeting to hear public feedback from residents who feel they are impacted. The rezoning in this area (5 corners) proposes to rezone the property to allow commercial development.
- During the June 24th Committee of the Whole, Council heard a presentation from Rodrigo Samayaa representing Fresh Voices Canada. In his presentation, he requested a letter of support be sent by the City to the UBCM for Provincial legislative change to enable permanent residents to vote in municipal elections. Council passed a motion at the July 22nd meeting to send a letter and to support a resolution at the 2019 UBCM Convention.