The role of our department is to plan for and oversee the maintenance and renewal of our public works infrastructure including:
- The municipal roads and street network, including street lights, traffic signs, bridges, sidewalks and pathways
- The potable water supply and distribution system
- Liquid waste management
- Solid waste collection and disposal
- City parks and playgrounds
- The Fairview Cemetery
We are also actively involved with:
- Implementation of the Annual Capital Improvement Program (i.e. road paving and other Public Works capital expenditure projects).
- Participation in the activities of the City land and property development team to ensure that new developments, from small in-fill projects to larger subdivisions, are constructed to City Standards using good engineering practice.
- Liaison with and engineering support to numerous government agencies, business interests, and various local service group and individuals.
- Regulation of all activities on City streets, boulevards, park land, and road & lane
Do you have a service request or query to make to the Public Work Department? We take hazards or issues of community safely very seriously. Please report all hazards and safety issues to staff.
See below for a list of City service numbers, available for your convenience:
Customer Service Line – 250-624-6795
After Hours – 250-624-3000
Weekend Emergencies – 250-624-3000
Streetlight Repair Reporting – 250-627-0988