Missed last night's Council Meeting? Have no fear - Council Corner is here! See the summary below for a brief overview of the meeting. This and other meeting summaries are available in our Council Corner Archive as well.
Update from Council Meeting — June 24th, 2019
- Council held a Committee of the Whole meeting where the opportunity to provide comment on the Annual Report was provided.
- During the Committee of the Whole, Council heard a presentation from Rodrigo Samayaa representing Fresh Voices Canada. In his presentation, he requested a letter of support be sent by the City to the UBCM for Provincial legislative change to enable permanent residents to vote in municipal elections.
- Council heard a presentation from the Prince Rupert Racquet Association on future plans for the facility.
- Council voted to adopt the 2018 Annual Report.
- Council voted to adopt a new Permissive Tax Exemption Policy. The policy now includes a formal application form, greater clarity surrounding evaluation criteria, and changes to the exemption period to match Council election cycles.
- Council released two recipients of Civic Merit and Civic Recognition Awards, Ian Lihou and Phuong Nguyen, from the Closed Meeting of Council. These awards will be presented at 1:30 pm at Mariners Park on Canada Day.
- Council directed staff to write a letter of support for presenters at last Council Meeting who spoke to the importance of CBC in Prince Rupert, and to collaborate with the presenters of the recommendation.
- Council passed a resolution to direct staff to commission a feasibility report with respect to small livestock within City limits. Council requested the report to address factors associated with climate, predators, minimum space requirements, as well as overall health and well-being of animals.