See below for a summary from last night's Council Meeting. For past meetings, check out Council Corner Archive.
Update from Council Meeting — December 10th, 2018
- A public hearing was held on Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 3430 to permit Cannabis Retail Stores downtown. Several members of the public spoke for and against the amendment as proposed. During the Regular meeting, the Amendment Bylaw was passed by Council.
- Council approved by resolution the Capital Works and Purchases for the 2019 fiscal year, including, but not limited to an increase to the capital budget for roads, replacement of the boilers at the Recreation Complex, purchase of a new large garbage truck which may enable future implementation of curbside recycling, completion of the West Berm expansion at the landfill, replacement of the 100 year old dam, and the airport ferry refit project.
- Council received the October 2018 Financial Variance Report from the Chief Financial Officer, who noted that the majority of projects and operational budgets are on track for the year.
- In conjunction with other proposed regulatory changes surrounding cannabis, Council passed a Policy for Consideration of Cannabis Retail Applications. This policy governs both public (Government) and private retail stores, including the notification process for both.
- Council released two appointments to the Tourism Board of Mr. Mike Cote and Ms. Janess Iverson from the closed meeting of November 26th, 2018.
- Council gave first three readings to Business Licence Amendment Bylaw No 3432, 2018, and set a public meeting opportunity for public feedback at 5:00 pm on December 12th, 2018 in Council Chambers. Directly following the public meeting, Council also scheduled a Special Regular meeting to consider final adoption of the proposed bylaw.