In 2008, Council had adopted an updated version of our Dog Control Bylaw with increased regulations can be dealt with in the short term. This approach would allow Council more time to consider the issues of feral cats, domestic cats and exotic animals on their own.
Some of the highlights and excerpts from the Dog Control Bylaw as following:
300) Every person within the City who owns or keeps a dog shall obtain a valid license, by applying in writing to the Bylaw Officer on the form provided and paying the prescribed fee set out
300.1) Upon application and payment of all prescribed fees, the bylaw officer shall issue to the owner of a dog, a numbered license tag, stamped for the current year, and the owner shall securely affix and keep affixed, the license tag to the dog's collar.
400) No owner of an animal shall permit the animal to be at large in the City or to trespass on any private property.
401) The number of dogs is limited to a maximum of three within any household
402) Notwithstanding designated off leash areas as provided for in this Bylaw, every person who owns, keeps or has custody, care or control of a dog, shall keep the dog on leash and under control while on any highway, school property, park or other public place in the City.
403) Every person who has care, custody or control of a dog in a public place, or on any highway, school property, park or private property other than their own residence, shall:
403.1) carry a plastic bag or other impermeable means to pick up and properly dispose of any excrement left by their dog.
OFFENCE COMMITTED BYLAW SECTION FINE
No Dog license 10 (a) $55.00
Failure to affix license tag 11 (b) $55.00
Dog at large 13 $85.00
Unleashed dog in park 15 (a) $55.00
Dog excrement not removed from public place 15 (b) $55.00
Barking dog 2 (iv) $100.00
Previous Animal control Bylaws No. 3070 and 2430 may be viewed in entirety at the City Hall Administration Office.
The following are deemed to be " Restricted Dogs " and shall include any dog of mixed breeding which includes, but is not limited to the following breeds:
- Pit Bull
- Pit Bull Terrier
- American Pit Bull Terrier
- Staffordshire Bull Terrier
- American Staffordshire Terrier
- Cane Corso
- Italian Mastiff
- Presa Canarios
- Fila Brasileiro
- Argentinean Dogo
- Any dog which as the appearance and physical characteristics predominantly conforming to the standards for any of the above breeds as established by the Canadian Kennel Club, or the American Kennel Club, or the United Kennel Club and as determined by a veterinarian licensed to practice in the Province of British Columbia.
Dog License Fees:
|Dogs - Sterilized With Certification**||$40|
|Restricted Dogs - Sterilized With Certification**||$200|
|Vicious Dogs - Sterilization With Certification**||$200|
|Special Needs Dogs||N/A|
|All Dogs Under 6 Months (Certified by a Veterinarian)**||
|Replacement License Tags||$10|
|Warning Signage - Included in Restricted/Vicious Dog License||N/A|
* All fees listed are for a single dog, per year, commencing in January 2008
** Certification required from a qualified veterinarian
|Category||1st Offence||2nd Offence||Subsequent Offences|
|All Other Animals||$50||N/A||N/A|
Maintenance Fees During Impoundment:
For each 24 hour period or fraction thereof of impoundment, after the first or initial 24 hour period of impoundment:
Removal, Disposal, and Cremation Fees:
|Dogs - 50lbs and under||$125||$90|
|Dogs - 51lbs and over||$150||$110|
|Dogs or Cats||$40|
|All Other Animals||$50|