The Information Technology (IT) Department develops and maintains an internal network of close to 200 desktop workstations, digital office equipment and the networking equipment, operating systems and servers.
Our department maintains financial system including cash receipting, utility billing, taxation, etc. We provide support to all city departments on 24/7/365 basis and maintain all computer systems (water, sewer, landfill, cemetery, public works, city hall, recreation, fire department and others)
In addition to supporting all departments, we maintain RCMP department computer systems and surveillance in the City of Prince Rupert.
We also provide a helpdesk function for assistance to all municipal staff for any IT related need.
IT understands the importance and the value of having access to reliable information.
IT's main responsibilities include:
- Manage the organization's hardware, software and physical communication
- Maintain a current website and social media sites
- Provide a source of guidance for technology issues for staff and associated organizations
- Maintain information security and availability
- Provide a corporate perspective on information technology initiatives
- Supply the guidance and infrastructure to deliver meaningful information
- Assist organizations that work closely with the city for IT needs (Airport, Library, District of Port Edward and others)
Marko Kessler, Manager of IT Operations