The Information Technology (IT) Department develops and maintains an internal network of close to 200 desktop workstations, digital office and networking equipment, operating systems and servers. IT understands the importance and the value of having reliable access to information.
Our department maintains the City’s back-end financial system including cash receipting, utility billing, taxation, etc. We provide support to all City departments on a 24/7/365 basis and maintain all computer systems (water, sewer, landfill, cemetery, public works, City Hall, recreation, fire department and others). We also provide a helpdesk function for assistance to all municipal staff for any IT-related need.
In addition to supporting all departments, we additionally maintain RCMP department computer systems and surveillance in the City of Prince Rupert.
IT's main responsibilities include:
- Managing the organization's hardware, software and physical communication
- Maintaining a current website and social media sites
- Providing a source of guidance for technology issues for staff and associated organizations
- Maintaining information security and availability
- Providing a corporate perspective on information technology initiatives
- Supplying the guidance and infrastructure to deliver meaningful information
- Assisting organizations that work closely with the city for IT needs (Airport, Library, District of Port Edward and others)
Contact the IT Department
Marko Kessler, Manager of IT Operations