The Prince Rupert Façade Improvement Program is offered by the City of Prince to enhance Prince Rupert’s primary retail areas of Downtown and Cow Bay. Funding for the program is applied for on an annual basis with Northern Development Initiative Trust, with annual application intake beginning in February following announcement of funding.
The Program is managed and administered by the Prince Rupert Economic Development Office on behalf of the City of Prince Rupert, and is designed to assist property and business owners with rehabilitating the commercial façades of their properties for the purpose of creating a positive visual impact, stimulating private investment, and complementing other community revitalization efforts.
- Participants within the Downtown and Cow Bay Development Permit Areas of the City of Prince Rupert are eligible
- Successful applicants will receive financial assistance in the form of a non- repayable grant, for eligible projects upon the completion of their respective Project.
- The Façade Improvement Program will provide a 50% reimbursement grant up to a maximum of $5,000 per building/project to improve the facades of existing buildings.
- Each building within these areas is eligible for the one-time grant.
- Projects must have a minimum total cost of $4,000 in order to qualify and a maximum of $200,000.
- You must be either the property owner or business owner (if the applicant is the business owner, the property owner must approve the application in writing and confirm that all improvements are to be paid for by the applicant);
- Non-profit and enterprising non-profit organizations (tenants)
- All property taxes pertaining to the property are fully paid and current;
- There must be a current, valid business licenses for the property (unless otherwise exempt);
- There must be no outstanding building permits, stop work orders, or development permit condition requirements outstanding; and
- You have not received a previous grant under this program for the subject property.
- Home based businesses which are zoned commercial, have a storefront and are within the specified area.
- Home based businesses without a commercial storefront (eligible for wayfinding signage only*).
- Residential homes located in the commercial area are not eligible;
- Apartment buildings
- Government owned (municipal, provincial or federal) owned buildings (even if they have business tenants);
- Properties outside the specified area (as defined in the community’s program guidelines);
- Empty buildings or businesses that are not operating (exception if the business is renovating or doing improvements to the building in anticipation of re-opening)
Eligible improvements may consist of but are not limited to:
- Exterior lighting (new but not replacement);
- Exterior architectural features;
- Exterior surfaces and details (decorative details, moldings, trims etc.);
- Windows (only if part of larger enhancements, no stand-alone window replacement);
- New siding;
- Façade Painting;
- Entrances and doorways (only if part of larger enhancements, no stand-alone entrance/doorway replacement);
- Accessibility improvements (ramps, wider doors etc.) to the outside of the building only AND are part of a larger facade improvement project
- Signage (affixed to the building);
- Way finding signage (sign located on the business property i.e. at the bottom of a driveway) Signs are eligible for 50% to a maximum of $500 and must adhere to any signage bylaws and regulations.
Additional Information on funding and project eligibility is available by downloading our 2019 Business Façade Improvement Program Guidelines.
Applications can be obtained when the intake opens in February by contacting:
Paul Vendittelli, Manager of Transportation and Economic Development
(250) 627 0934