The City of Prince Rupert has rules and procedures to guide developers operating in our community. Our City Hall employees are available to help you understand Council policies, and the rules and regulations that govern land use according to the City’s Official Community Plan, Zoning Bylaw, and Development Permit Area Guidelines, alongside other regulated requirements such as building, parking, and subdivision. The following sections will help to guide you in determining appropriate steps to take when seeking to build and develop in Prince Rupert.
Development Services at the City of Prince Rupert coordinates all applications and permits to the appropriate City department.
- The Planning Department reviews applications pertaining to Land Use and applications or permits to change or relax existing regulations – applications to amend the Official Community Plan or Zoning Bylaw, Development Permits, Development Variance Permits, and Minor Signs/Minor Works Permits.
- Any work involving City Land requires approval of the City’s Operations Department. Subdivision and stratification, for instance, must be approved by the Approving Officer in the Operations Department.
- The approval of the Building Department is required* for any work involving:
- the design, construction and occupancy of new buildings, structures and plumbing systems; and,
- the alteration, reconstruction, demolition, removal, relocation and occupancy of existing buildings, structures and plumbing systems
*unless exempted under the Building Code or the City of Prince Rupert’s Building Bylaw.